The huge Madagascar plague outbreak might be waning. This statement was issued in accordance with governmental case counts and news statuses in that local area.

When the outbreak occurred, approximately eighteen-hundred individuals were infected. Approximately one-hundred and twenty-seven people died from the huge outbreak.

According to Tarik Jasarevic (a World Health Organization spokes-person), reports in Malagasy broadcasting (affirmed reports) stated that the newest instance, as well as the fatalities, were reducing and many individuals infected were recovering, even though, spoke-person stated, "we cannot rule out the possibility of further spikes" (McNeil. (2017)).

Another report from W.H.O.'s Africa location revealed instances rising. Madagascar affirmed the initial plague fatality when testing in a lab was performed.

The male individual believed to be the cause of the huge plague outbreak, who was originally assumed to have a serious infection - malaria - had passed away earlier in that year. Before he died, he had traveled by taxis - mini-bus taxis - and visited two chief locations, meanwhile spreading the serious infection to many others.

NYT Parenting's team is there for parents to get the updates regarding family matters, parenting, and more.

When the outbreak was not a threat any longer, it would be proof that the continuous efforts and support of health officials on Indian Ocean Island benefited citizens greatly. They had help from W.H.O. as well, and the International Red Cross, Doctors without Borders, U.S. Agency for International Development, UNICEF and other non-profit groups helped with the huge plague outbreak too.

In this region, the typical season for plagues starts to rise around December and can continue until April. However, that year, the outbreak was rare. Instances are generally more common in the highlands, like the midst of rice-farming, and is usually spread in other ways - like by insect bites. The beginning signs of the plague are enlarged lymph nodes - bubonic plague.

In 2017, most instances occurred in cities and were of the pneumonic variation, which could be caught by being near someone affected that coughed without covering his or her mouth.

The same year Dr. Manitra Rakotoarivony - a health promotion director of the island - stated, on a nearby radio broadcast channel, "there were almost no more deaths" (McNeil. (2017)). Bulletins that went out each day, issued by the National Office for Risk and Disaster Management, "bore that out" (McNeil. (2017)).

When the huge plague outbreak happened, health officials closed every school and went in and sprayed chemicals to kill fleas. They also banned any community gatherings. In addition, they selected nine treatment centers.

There were checkpoints throughout the entire nation as well. Newly educated healthcare employees went on buses and taxis to check every passenger's temperature to make sure they did not have a high fever. At that time, the cost for infrared thermometers were at an all-time high price - seventy dollars each - according to the AFP. (McNeil. (2017))

Checkpoints were also established in cities. Some of them were set up at lending institutions and other kinds of buildings, in areas there were a lot of people walking through.

Even though Indian Ocean and East African countries were in alert status, the plague had not spread to other nations. A citizen of Seychelles stayed in the hospital, as the patient was originally diagnosed with the disease - from lab tests that were positive -- when he went back to Madagascar - later, the lab tests came back with negative results - higher-tech tests.

Some media reports were alarming and indicated that the disease's outbreak was due to a ritual of Famadihana, Madagascar, also referred to as the "turning of bones" (McNeil. (2017)).

Individuals who were related to the deceased - their ancestor's bodies, which remained in family crypts - took the bodies out of the crypts and wrapped the bodies in new cloths, and the relatives would tell their deceased ancestors what had happened and what was happening in their lives, and they would dance with their dead relatives. The ritual usually happens during the months from July through September.

However, healthcare professionals dismissed such ideas - dismissed the theories that the deceased bodies could carry anything that would cause the huge plague outbreak (the professionals believed that the bodies could not attract insects, such as fleas, that could carry the disease and be spread from one person to another, for example).

The healthcare professionals also felt that, since the ancestors had died seven years or so ago, it was not possible for the remains to attract such insects too. The bodies also, according to the healthcare experts, would not be coughing either.

The only way the disease could be spread is by human beings who were alive, like when they had large gatherings or ceremonies. However, the ceremonies are not as large as some gatherings, such as concerts, sports gatherings and other types of events that were not permitted when the outbreak started. They banned bigger gatherings to eliminate the chance of the plague spreading further.



McNeil, Donald G Jr. (Nov. 2, 2017). Deadly Plague Outbreak in Madagascar Appears to Wane. Retrieved from